Who are Rodney Area Rainbow LGBTQ+?
Amanda Ashley first started the Rodney Area Rainbow LGBTQ+ group on Facebook on December 5, 2017 with the intention of starting to help others in the community who were struggling to reach out and find support.
We were concerned with the lack of knowledge among our local GP's and as many struggle to travel far, we hope to be able to provide a single place with up to date research and provide direct paths to the right services.
Rodney Area Rainbow LGBTQ+ are for the LGBTQ+ community in the Rodney area (especially Orewa, HBC)! However we welcome and support anyone who reaches out to us.
If you know of anyone in the Rodney area that needs support or a safe place, or just talk to others who have "been there" please let them know about this group.
The group was started because of a lack of local support, only NZ wide online / phone support, and the physical places to go to are in the Auckland Central or at best Takapuna / Glenfield area. (All of which are AMAZING, but sometimes you really need something LOCAL).
We also like to bring visibility to other groups and resources via the Rodney Area Rainbow LGBTQ+ group and Facebook page as we know the struggles of trying to find the right people to reach out to.
What do we do?
- Liaise with local youth groups to provide support for gender questioning youth
- We aim to enact change with local Primary Health Organisations to provide better care for the local LGBTQ+ community
- We aim to improve access to quality pharmaceutical for Transgender Healthcare
- We aim to improve access to Gender Affirming Surgeries in New Zealand
- We aim to provide a safe environment for the Rodney LGBTQ+ community to come together (Private Group)
Connect with us
Facebook Private Group: https://www.facebook.com/groups/RodneyAreaRainbowLGBTQ
FYI (Official Information Requests): https://fyi.org.nz
Email: via our contact us page